BEST PORTABLE PROPANE STOVE
Gas ONE GS-3400P Propane/Butane Portable Stove
BEST PORTABLE BUTANE STOVE
Iwatani 35FW Butane Stove
Gas ONE GS-1000 Portable Butane Gas Stove
BEST PORTABLE WOOD STOVE
Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove
Unigear Wood Burning Camp Stove
Considering how common our conveniences have become, the prospect of surviving in the wild might seem like something impossible.
The truth is a little different, though. No matter how much they grow and evolve, humans have that primal instinct and knowledge. On the bright side, you can pair your survival missions with some super-useful tools. A portable survival stove is one of those things you can get even in 2021.
A portable stove is a rather broad term and category today, though. Since the beginning of compact homes, portable stoves have been quite popular.
However, you cannot choose a random portable stove and expect it to assist you through your survival adventures.
Instead, you have to pay attention to a few factors such as its maximum power, frequency of usage, and design. Depending on where you have planned all the survival adventures, you may need some added features.
Long story short, if you are picking a survival stove for the first time, you may have some confusion. We have faced the same issue, and we thought we could help you a bit. In this guide, we have compiled the best portable survival stoves you can buy in 2021.
We have used expert recommendations and data-based selection to pick the best five choices from a market of thousands of products. We hope it helps you choose the right stove in the shortest time possible.
Best Portable Survival Stove – Reviews & Buying Guide For 2021
Best Portable Propane Stove: Gas ONE GS-3400P Propane/Butane Portable Stove
- Fuel: Butane or Propane
- Dimensions: 5.3” x 4.4” x 1.7”
- Weight: 3.1lbs
- Number of Burners: 1
- Power: 8,000BTU
The Gas ONE GS-3400P Propane/Butane Portable Stove is hands down the best portable stove for survivalists and campers alike. Every aspect of the product, including performance and design, has been optimized for cooking on the run.
Because the package comes with everything you need to start a portable kitchen, it is a perfect choice for entry-level campers and survivalists. Even if everything else goes wrong, you can count on this stove to help you cook good food.
- As you can guess from the name, the Gas ONE GS-3400P Propane/Butane Portable Stove uses a dual-fuel technology. It means you can use either a single butane cartridge or a propane cylinder according to your convenience. However, in some cases, you may need to use a regulator for added safety.
- As you can understand from the specifications, the device is very compact. In addition to the handy dimensions of 5.3” x 4.4” x 1.7”, the portable survivalists’ machine weighs only 3.1lbs. Although you are getting only a single burner, this compact design is an excellent package.
- Despite the compact design, the Gas ONE GS-3400P Propane/Butane Portable Stove does not make any compromise in security or safety. A built-in pressure sensor offers maximum protection, and the gas flow cut mechanism can stop irregular-pressure scenarios as they develop.
- Because of the single-burner system that we mentioned, this stove can provide an impressive amount of energy to that burner. We are talking about a maximum amount of 8,000BTU, which is sufficient for most camping/emergency needs.
- The Gas ONE GS-3400P Propane/Butane Portable Stove uses a design that fits with almost every kind of camping scenario if you ask us. Even if we keep the whole camping aspect aside, the portable stove is an excellent pick for those who live in small houses. it is the right blend of compactness and power.
- GAS ONE is a great company in that it packs some useful accessories with the stove. You get a carrying case and a propane adaptor. Even if you order this last minute, the stove can help you with the camping setup.
- Some users have reported issues regarding the gas regulator. It seems that, while the system as such works flawlessly, people face problems when controlling the gas flow while cooking.
- The stove system is powered by a Piezo-electric Ignition system, which is a time-saver. Because it has been built onto the stove, you don’t need external lighters or matches. Therefore, regardless of the place you camp, the portable stove can work as planned.
We believe the Gas ONE GS-3400P Propane/Butane Portable Stove is an excellent choice if you are looking for the best propane-based portable stove out there.
Although it is optimized for outdoor use, you can easily use the same stove for hybrid camping situations as well. Thanks to the single-burner system with 8000BTU of power, the stove can cater to a variety of cooking needs as well.
Best Portable Butane Stove: Iwatani 35FW Butane Stove
- Fuel: Butane
- Dimensions: 13.3” x 11.9” x 3.7”
- Weight: 4.4lbs
- Number of burners: 1
- Power: 15,000BTU
If you have some experience with camping and survival expeditions, you know the importance of having some extra power in the stove. You don’t have to wait so long for the cooking to finish.
If you are looking for a portable stove in that category, you should check out the Iwatani 35FW Butane Stove. Powered by butane and covered with an impressive design we have ever seen, this compact stove makes a great companion for aggressive campers and survivalists in the wild.
- As we mentioned earlier, the Iwatani 35FW Butane Stove uses a single Butane-based stove burner. It can quickly produce up to 15,000BTUs of heat, which is more than enough for most campers. Even if you convert this into a portable kitchen, the stove will keep up.
- Like the dual-fuel system survival stove we mentioned first, the Iwatani 35FW Butane Stove has a compact design. The manufacturer has done this without reducing the quality of the burner system. The design augments the power output from the stove in most cases.
- Although it packs almost double the power we saw in the first pick, the stove is very easy to use. You will love the push-to-set-up design for the fuel cartridge. On top of this, the system weighs only 4.4lbs and measures just 13.3” x 11.9” x 3.7”.
- The design also accommodates a built-in windbreaker, which can prevent wind and air conditioning. As a result, you can confidently use the product for indoor and outdoor projects. Given the amount of heat the burner can produce, this is a must-have feature too.
- Iwatani has also taken care of the basic safety systems with the design. Upon detecting any problems in pressure distribution, the Iwatani 35FW Butane Stove can cut down the gas supply, thus preventing any unfortunate event in the future.
- Compared to other portable butane stoves we have seen, this one uses an ergonomic control knob. The design allows us to keep maximum control over heat distribution regardless of the skillet you use for cooking.
- There are no complaints about the construction quality of this Iwatani 35FW Butane Stove. However, you may have a hard time finding the right spare parts when it comes to frequent replacements, such as the spark.
- Some users have also noted that the construction does not work well with water contact. So, it is best to keep this stove as away from water as possible. We must also mention that finding an alternative is a challenging prospect in the event of a part missing.
- We believe the cartridge installation system on the Iwatani 35FW Butane Stove is incredibly effective and safe. There are mechanical and audible nudges to ensure that you have correctly installed the cartridge.
You cannot go wrong with the Iwatani 35FW Butane Stove if you are looking for an innovative design and improved performance. The manufacturer has also included some productivity-oriented features that make on-the-go cooking a thing of ease.
The stove is also one of the safest portable survival stoves in the current market.
Runner-Up: Gas ONE GS-1000 Portable Butane Gas Stove
- Fuel: Butane
- Dimensions: 13.5” x 11.2” x 4.4”
- Weight: 3.1lbs
- Number of burners: 1
- Power: 7,650BTU
Let’s just say you don’t want to spend a huge amount on a survival stove in 2021. Or, you want to get two in place of one stove. In both these cases, the Gas ONE GS-1000 Portable Butane Gas Stove seems to be an excellent choice from the market.
This butane-powered stove is a great choice for those who have started their survivalist adventures just now. Even though the manufacturer had to compromise just a few elements, the overall package seemed to impress us for the most part.
- When we say the Gas ONE GS-1000 Portable Butane Gas Stove is affordable, we mean it from every aspect. This superb machine costs as much as a premium coffee or a decent meal. Nevertheless, it has one of the highest ratings on Amazon.
- As we have mentioned above, the dimensions for this product are 13.5” x 11.2” x 4.4”. Furthermore, it has a weight of 3.1lbs, making this stove a suitable addition to your camping gear. Even if you want to pack so minimally, this stove wouldn’t be a problem.
- While 7650BTU may not be the most powerful figure in the category, it means the burner can assist you in almost every form of cooking. Because the product comes with CSA certification, you do not have to worry about safety, either.
- Like we saw in the premium model from the same manufacturer, the Gas ONE GS-1000 Portable Butane Gas Stove also comes with the Piezo-type electric starter system. Therefore, even if you don’t have a lighter or matches with you, you can start cooking.
- The fact that you can use only a specific type of butane cartridge improves the safety aspects of this survival stove like anything else. On top of this, the company has used an ejection system that stops the cartridge from being used.
- Last but not least, Gas ONE has included a carrying case and other documentation with the product. So, you will have minimal trouble setting up and using the stove when outdoors.
- Some may find that 7,650BTU of power is not enough for cooking. The other issue is that the stove comes with only one burner. If you want to cook multiple items, you will have to buy two units of the stove.
- We believe Gas ONE could have improved the usability of the design a bit. The current design does not do anything when it comes to preventing wind. Therefore, we cannot recommend this survival butane stove for aggressive environments.
There aren’t any extra features in the Gas ONE GS-1000 Portable Butane Gas Stove package.
We believe the Gas ONE GS-1000 Portable Butane Gas Stove is an excellent choice if you are looking for one of the most cost-effective survival stoves in the market.
Although it is equipped with a minimal amount of power, it should be more than enough for your camping and survival adventure needs. Also, it is so cost-effective that you won’t mind getting two of them in the worst-case scenario.
Best Portable Wood Stove: Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove
- Fuel: Wood or Alcohol
- Dimensions: 5.3” x 5.3” x 5.3”
- Weight: 0.8lbs
- Number of burners: 1
- Power: N/A
For some survivalists, adventures mean depending on nature as much as possible. And processed fuels such as butane and propane aren’t the best choice. Instead, they would rely on wood.
If you are one of them, you should check out the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove, which runs on wood or alcohol. This compact stove can be the right choice for your camping adventures when you know how to use it. And the top design from the maker brings in some advantages too.
- As we said, the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove is very compact. It has dimensions of 5.3” x 5.3” x 5.3” and weighs only 0.8lbs. We believe the stove is the perfect choice for those who want to save the maximum amount of space while packing for an adventure.
- Unlike what we would expect from such a small design, Ohuhu has used an intricate design for the stove. We are talking about multiple layers of protection and a few more layers to support the pot or the barbeque material.
- The package comes with enough hardware to support traditional cooking and grilling. You can place the grill grid and enjoy the best taste from anything you want to barbeque. As we said, the protective layer can handle almost any type of pot.
- As you would expect, using the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove is entirely environmentally-friendly. You can enjoy your survivalist camps without even the slightest doubt of harming the nature around you.
- We also noticed that the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove is very versatile. The space-saving design allows you to use the wood-based portable stove in various instances, including indoor spaces if need be.
- Apart from the aesthetic parts, the design of the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove does a nice job of preventing heat from messing up your cooking adventure.
- Because the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove relies on wood, you cannot control how much heat gets transferred to the pot. It means you have to manually control how much heat is generated by limiting the amount of wood you put in.
- While it is not a surprise, the stove comes with only one cooking burner. This could be a problem if you want to cook a variety of items at once, you know. However, just like we mentioned in the case of the previous product, you can, after all, buy two units of the stove.
We could not spot any extra features in the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove package.
In the end, the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove is one of the few products that do the job they say it will do.
When you prepare for outdoor camping or backpacking, you can throw in this portable stove and stop worrying about cooking needs. it is fantastic that the maker has offered a premium design and other features in a cost-effective package.
Runner-Up: Unigear Wood Burning Camp Stove
- Fuel: Wood
- Dimensions: 6.3” x 8.0” x 7.1”
- Weight: 1.54lbs
- Number of burners: 1
- Power: N/A
If you think our top-pick wood stove is a little less fancy, you must check out what the Unigear Wood Burning Camp Stove has to offer. By paying a little more than the previous one costs, you can get some extra-premium features and a rugged design.
We think you can consider this wood stove over the previous one if you want to focus a little more on BBQ and grilling than traditional cooking. It does not exceptionally perform well as a conventional backpacking stove.
- The Unigear Wood Burning Camp Stove comes with a design optimized for barbecuing and grilling. As you can see, there are options to keep a variety of skillets and grilling pads as per your liking. You also have better control over heat distribution over the stove.
- Unlike the other products, this wood stove allows you to keep the burning material on an upper layer. This can be helpful in two ways. First, you can ensure the best amount of power from the material. Second, you don’t have to fear the fire spreading to any side.
- While there is another aspect to this point, you can use a vast collection of pots and skillets on the Unigear Wood Burning Camp Stove. This is because the surface area of the product is very long, and you can always adjust the burning material to suit your needs.
- Another impressive part about the stove is that you can use fuels other than wood. In the event you cannot find enough wood, you can turn to options like twigs, leaves, pinecones, or even spirit burners. As long as these work, you will have a steady supply of heat.
- While the surface area is large enough to fit various skillets, the stove does not offer support for any form of these pots. It could be a problem when using the Unigear Wood Burning Camp Stove in an aggressive environment
There are no unique features in this wood survival stove package.
You can confidently choose the Unigear Wood Burning Camp Stove if you need the freedom to use a wider variety of pots and focus more on barbecuing.
While the stove does indeed work for traditional cooking, the design naturally gives you an edge when it comes to grilling stuff. Finally, Unigear Wood Burning Camp Stove has a foldable design. It means you can carry it around without any hassle.
Portable Stoves FAQ
How does a portable stove work?
A portable stove works in the same way a traditional stove works. Depending on the stove you choose, it may use butane, propane, electricity, or natural material to create fire. In processed fuels, a burner and safety mechanisms are used to control the flow of heat.
How much do portable stove gas canisters cost?
The specific price of the gas canisters varies from place to place. Depending on the fuel, you can find canisters that cost anywhere from $1 to $100. You just have to choose a canister that works with the stove that you have.
Is it safe to use a portable gas stove indoors?
Unless specified otherwise by the manufacturer, you can use portable gas stoves indoors. Nevertheless, you should ensure that the gas stove has enough hardware to protect the gas flow from wind and air conditioner elements.
Do butane stoves give off carbon monoxide?
As a part of the chemical composition, the usage of butane gas will result in the generation of a small level of carbon monoxide. However, experts say that the toxicity of the amount is so low that customers do not have to worry.
On the other hand, you need proper ventilation to keep the toxicity at a minimum.
Butane or propane last longer?
There are two aspects to this question. Generally speaking, though, butane will last longer than propane. In spite of this, you cannot expect the same performance from both fuels since their boiling points, and some other characteristics are different.
We hope you could select the best portable survival stove from the collection we have prepared above.
As said, we have included multiple options from versatile categories.
Therefore, depending on how much you want to carry and the power and control you want, you can choose a stove that meets your expectations. In the end, however, all these products can ensure that you have a decent meal amidst the wilderness.