A lighter is one of the most used tools, yet we don’t give it much thought when it comes to buying the right type of lighter.
But this useful, everyday tool can come in handy in a number of situations and circumstances, especially if you are out in the wild. If you are an outdoor adventure enthusiast, you must be familiar with a survival kit.
An essential any adventurer cannot do without, a survival kit can come in handy in times of crisis. While several necessary things must be included in a survival kit, one of them is a survival lighter.
This picking is easier said than done. The reason is simple: there are so many backpacks in the market, and you can easily get lost. In addition to the standard categories, you can now find hybrid varieties. Of course, these mixed categories come with their advantages and disadvantages.
If you plan to venture out in the woods, you will need fire to keep you warm, cook your food, and keep stalking wild animals at bay. In case of a blizzard or snowstorm, the human body cannot survive for more than a few hours without any source of warmth.
So, carrying a survival lighter with you in the wild can be a matter of life and death. Now, such an important decision must not be taken lightly. There are so many survival lighters in the market that choosing the right one for you can be quite tricky.
Some popular varieties of survival lighters include torch lighters, tabletop survival lighters, pocket survival lighters, plasma lighters, rechargeable plasma lighters, coil survival lighters, and torch windproof survival lighters.
But suppose you are unsure which one you should buy among the best survival torch lighter, the best plasma lighter, the best plasma arc lighter, the best rechargeable plasma lighter, or the best-rated plasma lighter.
In that case, we’re here with a few survival lighter reviews to make this decision simple for you.
Best Survival Lighters: Reviews & Buying Guide for 2021
Best Overall: Zippo Matte Pocket Lighters
- Weight: 2.0oz
- Size: 0.91 x 0.35 x 1.3 inches
- Type: Pocket Lighter
The Zippo Matte Pocket Lighters come in different sizes and colors and are a made-in-the-USA product.
For a few decades, customers have relied on this prestigious brand for some of the best lighters in town. Made of synthetic material and the original design from the brand, these lighters bring the best quality and a long-lasting impression.
- A Zippo windproof lighter is one of the most reliable and durable lighters on the market. It comes equipped with an exclusive Zippo click that is easy-to-use. When faced with emergencies, you can start this lighter in a few seconds.
- It sports an all-metal construction and a trademark windproof design, allowing the lighter to work virtually anywhere, indoors or camping in the wild. This versatile design is a great addition, especially given the semi-premium price you pay.
- The Zippo lighter is refillable for a lifetime of use. If you think the lighter is running out of fuel, you can quickly refuel instead of getting a new lighter. Therefore, the money you spend on the Zippo Matte Pocket Lighters is a lifetime investment.
- It is also impressive that the Zippo Matte Pocket Lighters can last for decades if you take good care of them. The company provides one of the best after-sales services and warranty coverage, for one. You should stick to the recommended set of lighter fluids, though.
- These windproof lighters are also among the most popular ones on the market. So, you won’t have any problem clearing your doubts or finding the right tutorials on YouTube.
- It is slightly expensive. You should be ready to invest a good amount of money in your survival kit to add this multipurpose lighter to the inventory.
A distinctive stamp at the bottom of the lighter authenticates the genuineness of each Zippo lighter. You can check this logo to see if your product is legit. This is not just about the brand value because you can avail of the excellent warranty offers only if you have a legitimate project.
The Zippo lighter is available in various sizes so that you can buy one according to your preference. The compact and sleek design makes it easy to carry in the pocket. As we said, you can also choose between tens of finishes to suit your survival kit.
All Zippo lighters come with a lifetime warranty that makes this product extraordinary. In case your Zippo lighter ever stops working, you can get it fixed for free.
The lighters are so great that both smokers and survival adventurers like the design of the product. Altogether, the Zippo Matte Pocket Lighter is something you can buy with 100% confidence.
Runner Up: UST Refillable Waterproof Floating Lighter
- Weight: 0.8oz
- Size: 2.5 x 0.5 x 1.5 inches
- Type: Floating Lighter
If you are looking for a more cost-effective survival lighter, you should check the UST Refillable Waterproof Floating Lighter.
This popular product has been the go-to choice of survival enthusiasts for many years, and it offers all the features like waterproof construction and snug-fit design. Altogether, the lighter can improve how you handle life in the wild.
- If you love traveling and exploring uncharted territory, this lighter features an impact-resistant and waterproof ABS plastic design that makes it perfect for the outdoors. Even during the most extreme weather conditions, creating a campfire wouldn’t be a problem.
- It comes with an O-ring sealed cover with a locking clasp closure as well as a windproof flame that can withstand powerful gusts of winds up to 80mph. This is an excellent addition in terms of overall durability and design quality.
- It also sports a buoyant design that effortlessly floats on water. Designed for one-handed operation, the lighter is relatively easy to use and carry. Therefore, even if you move to unfamiliar terrains, this waterproof lighter can keep doing its job.
- This lighter is quite reliable as it features a piezo-electric ignition which can light up to 30,000 times and even when it comes in contact with water. The said ignition system works so effectively on most days as well.
- It will have to be refueled at regular intervals since the fuel capacity is low. Of course, the final results depend on how frequently you use the lighter.
The lighter comes with a fuel capacity of 0.04 fl. Oz, which can be used to fill quadruple-refined butane. The catalyzer coil inside the lighter provides a 2000 degree Fahrenheit flame, but it can be adjusted for optimal performance.
The design of the lighter also features a zinc die-cast wind guard and lever that allows it to function even in unusual climatic conditions. When combined with the impact resistance of the build, this product becomes something you can carry out hassle-free.
This butane lighter with a plastic waterproof outer case and slim design can easily be carried in your pocket and used in times of crisis. It is ideal for surviving outdoors, thanks to an easy refuel gas inlet and flame adjustment.
We should also appreciate the impressive construction quality of the lighter. The snug-fit design and wind-resistant ignition add more value than we expect them to.
Alternative: Zippo Emergency Fire Kit
- Weight: 0.14 Pounds
- Size: 1.15 x 1.15 x 3.95 inches
- Type: Mag Strike
The Zippo Emergency Fire Kit takes a different approach to start a campfire in the wilderness.
Although a little different from the traditional lighters, the emergency kit gets the job done. The Mag Strike system is extraordinarily effective at generating enough spark to cater to your diverse needs. At the same time, the design is very lightweight.
- The Emergency Fire Kit (EFK) has a compact and high-caliber construction that makes it the right choice for campsites and other outdoor settings. The product can withstand extreme weather and rugged use from your side.
- With a flint wheel ignition and 5 easy spark tinder in its compact casing, the EFK can ignite a fire in just a few moments. Of course, if you are moving from a traditional lighter, it takes time, but it would be an easy thing, nevertheless.
- It is also reusable, durable, and lightweight as it is designed for adverse weather conditions. You can, for instance, refuel the lighter without much effort. The seemingly unusual design helps you get the fire started in no time.
- If you are worried about unexpected showers, you should know that the EFK floats in water, keeping the flint-wheel and tinder dry. So, it can be used to create reliable sparking in any weather condition, which is a value addition.
- While the design is indeed portable and easy to carry, its ergonomics is an entirely different matter. You may need some time to get used to the way the lighter works. Once this is done, it is all good, though.
Zippo’s emergency fire kit uses an O-ring to create a waterproof seal that keeps the lighter’s tinder away from moisture, making it waterproof. Therefore, even in the most extreme scenarios, you can use the lighter without worries.
The flint wheel on Zippo’s lighter provides reliable sparking and can produce up to 1700 sparks in any weather conditions.
It features an ergonomic design constructed with reusable ABS plastic and an integrated textured grip so that a user can easily grip the lighter even in extreme weather conditions.
Made for emergencies, this Zippo’s fire kit can save the day when you are out in the woods and needs to create a fire instantly. The entire kit comes packaged in a blister pack.
Being quite durable, it can last very long. However, as we said, you should get used to the process of using the lighter so that you can get things to speed.
Best Plasma Lighters: Reviews & Buying Guide for 2021
If you don’t want to buy a conventional lighter, you can opt for a plasma lighter instead. A plasma lighter is also known as an electric lighter, an arc lighter, or an electronic lighter.
Plasma lighters are rechargeable and safer than butane lighters as they do not contain any flammable gas stored inside them. There are two types of plasma lighters, single arc plasma lighters and double arc plasma lighters.
Apart from this difference, plasma lighters are available in varying shapes, sizes, and colors. Here we present a plasma lighter review with all the relevant details to determine the best plasma lighters.
Winner: JINLUN Outdoor Flameless Plasma Lighter
- Weight: 1.79 Oz
- Size: 2.7inch x 1.87inch x 0.68inch
- Type: Double Arc Lighter
- With a metal-ring sealed lighter cover and a safety locking clasp design, this plasma lighter is entirely waterproof. It is securely closed to keep out all the water. So, you don’t need to have any fear of rain while indulging in outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, travels, etc.
- This lighter is very easy to recharge. You need to plug this plasma lighter into any USB port simply (for instance, in your computer or car or mobile phone portable charger) with the included USB cable. It does not require any additional fuel, gas, or batteries.
- Another great advantage is that it can be quickly fully charged in just 2 hours. Additionally, this plasma lighter is very safe and easy to use. Because the design includes all the necessary circuitry, you don’t have to worry about technical errors while using the lighter.
- A double arc lighter, it comes with a lanyard. Therefore, it is lightweight, easy to carry, and convenient to keep with you during your travels. You can hang it on your neck or put it in your pocket or simply keep it in your travel kit.
- It cannot be used for lighting a cigar since the amount of spark is not sufficient. However, the lighters are great when you want to start a fire or light up a regular cigarette. It is one of the compromises you have to make.
- Finding a power source can be a little tricky when you are away from home. Unlike the case of gas-based lighters, plasma lighters don’t work on storable fuel. Instead, you will need to carry a power-bank system that is powerful enough to recharge the lighter.
Made using high-quality ABS and Zinc Alloy material, this plasma lighter is quite durable and can withstand the test of time. This windproof arc lighter is accompanied by a USB charging cable, a hanging lanyard as well as a user manual with detailed instructions.
Recycled and Rechargeable, this plasma lighter is eco-friendly, and it requires no gas or fuel. It is suitable for all weather conditions and can be easily charged through a mobile phone, laptop, computer, or power bank using a USB cable.
You will be pleased to know that this plasma lighter comes with 60-day warranty service. So, in case of any trouble, you can get it repaired or replaced. With every charge lasting up to 60 times, it is a great double arc lighter that is convenient to carry with you at all times.
If you can live with the limitations of an electric or plasma lighter in general, you will love this product.
Runner Up: Veksun Plasma Dual Arc Lighter
- Weight: 3.98 ounces
- Size: 4.6 x 3.05 x 0.95 inches
- Type: Electric
- A great choice if you are planning on embarking on any of these outdoor activities: backpacking, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. The Armored WaterProof Arc Lighter is designed with a fully sealed waterproof, high degree of protection, making it perfect for outdoor use.
- Another benefit of this amazing plasma lighter is that it is windproof. So, this lighter works even in extreme weather conditions like heavy wind. There is no fussing with the wind when you are trying to light up a fire in the woods with this windproof plasma lighter.
- As it is light in weight, it can be easily carried. The plasma lighter is quite small, so you keep it in your survival kit or even fit it in your pocket without any hassle. Despite the affordable price tag, the lighter looks classy as well.
- Just like the top-pick product, the Veksun Plasma Dual Arc Lighter also comes with a lanyard, which makes carrying the lighter around an easy task. In the end, the fashionable design will make it look a lot cooler.
- The electric lighter needs to be charged, so access to a power source is mandatory, which can be a little challenging to manage in an outdoor setting.
Made with zinc alloy as the shell material, this plasma lighter is quite durable. You can expect this lighter to last for a solid few months, even if you are using it so frequently.
The rechargeable USB electric arc Lighter comes with a micro USB cable that can be plugged into for charging.
An excellent electric arc lighter, this one is durable, water-resistance, and windproof. So, it is the right choice for people who enjoy the outdoors. The compact design and light-weight of this plasma lighter make it quite easy to carry.
Altogether, if you are looking for an electric lighter for your survival adventures, you don’t have to look any further.
Survival Lighter FAQ
Is it safe to use an old lighter?
While there is no harm in keeping an old lighter, assuming it hasn’t rusted over the years and is still functional, it is still not recommended.
This especially applies to scenarios if you have to survive in adverse and unpredictable conditions. Instead, you must have a sturdy, durable and reliable lighter in your survival kit. In case the fuel runs out of an old lighter or the butane fuel escapes, it will be troublesome.
What do you do with a dead lighter?
If you are in a situation where you need to start a fire, but all you have is a dead lighter, you can try this hack. Start by removing the cap of the lighter and raising the flame to the maximum.
Then turn the adjuster wheel on the top and again open the flame to the maximum. This might give you a few more flames. This is better than throwing the lighter away.
Are lighters illegal?
No, it is not illegal to buy or carry a lighter. But lighting a fire by accident can cause harm. So, you have to make sure your lighter is child-resistant. It is also essential to note that lighter fluid or butane cannot be sold to anyone under 18 years.
What is the most expensive lighter in the world?
The most expensive lighter in the world is the Ligne 2 Champagne lighter by St. Dupont. Priced at a whopping $79,000, it is made of 18-carat white gold and embellished with 468 brilliant-cut diamonds.
This most expensive lighter in the world is a part of the exclusive Dupont’s Prestige Collection.
As we have seen, when you are in an outdoor environment, carrying a reliable lighter can be a matter of life and death.
From starting a fire to keep you warm to protect you from any predators lurking in the shadows, a survival lighter has many uses. Depending on the kind of adventure you embark on, it is best to stay prepared and select a survival lighter to withstand all the weather conditions.
There are so many different kinds of lighters currently crowding the market, such as survival torch lighters, plasma lighters, plasma arc lighters, rechargeable plasma lighters, butane lighters.
It is understandable that choosing the right survival lighter for you can be a daunting task with so many options. We hope that this review has helped in clearing the smoke and will enable you to choose the best survival lighter according to your needs.
But ultimately, the decision to buy the best survival lighter is in your hands, and if you keep all the crucial factors such as durability, water resistance, wind resistance, portability, reliability, quality, usage, etc. in mind, then choosing the right survival lighter for you won’t be a difficult task.
So, get ready for your adventure and keep a survival lighter with you so that you can enjoy being in the outdoors without any worry.
After all, a reliable survival lighter will keep you warm; it will help start a fire where you can cook a meal and be used to create a bonfire with all your travel companions.