Using the best machete for survival is necessary for the active survivalist, outdoorsmen, and catastrophe preppers.
Tactical machete and survival machete knives are used for farming and agricultural purposes.
Whether you are one of those planning to reside in the wild for a limited time or require a survival machete knife to clear off bushes, using the best-rated survival machete is crucial.
Here, we will discuss what a machete is, the various machetes available in the market, and a few top survival machete reviews.
While selecting the best survival machete in 2021, you should even account for a few features, which can help make the most of your days outdoors.
Here, we have made a list of the best survival machetes, and to make this list useful for you, we have included buying advice to discuss a few crucial factors you require to look for when purchasing the best machete for survival.
A survival machete knife is most commonly used in agricultural instruments or combat.
Tactical machete and survival machete knives generally have a broad blade with an average length of between 12 and 18 inches and a thickness of nearly 0.12 inches.
The term ‘machete’ is derived from the Spanish term ‘macho,’ which often was used to refer to a sledgehammer.
Machetes are even utilized in agricultural fields for cutting sugarcane.
Moreover, the ordinary ones are used to chop off the rainforest in the subtropical and tropical areas. Besides being a necessary tool in the agricultural field, machetes are utilized to create wooden handles for the tools.
They are utilized for yard work, cut via thick bushes, and chopping via leaves. Survival machete knives are considered to be a primary weapon of choice in the course of uprisings.
Presently, it is utilized for combat & self-defense owing to its long-bladed structure. It is often used both as a knife and an ax in various households to cut food products into smaller pieces.
Your machete choice entirely depends on what you require to use it for. To decide on which machete would best suit you, first, look at various kinds of machete available in the market.
You need to consider a few essential things when purchasing a tactical machete and survival machete knife.
1. Blade Material
A machete’s durability depends on its blade material. When you purchase a survival machete knife, it is crucial to watch the material used to prepare the blade.
Few of the manufacturers select stainless steel, while many others prefer carbon steel. Their choice for the material depends on the requirement of the machete being designed for.
Carbon steel blades generally tend to be significantly stronger than stainless steel. However, they are prone to get rusted over some time.
It means carbon steel might not be an ideal choice if you will navigate through the wet forests. On the other hand, stainless steel is a product, which is rust-resistant due to the loaded oxidized layer over the top of it.
While you will find many options in the market, you should analyze your surroundings and purchase a machete accordingly.
The best survival machetes are used as a combination of stainless steel and high carbon steel with prevention against rust.
When picking up the best survival kukri machete, checking the build is crucial.
For instance, complete tang construction means that the machete blade would run through the handle & extend outwards. It makes the machete well balanced and proffers a swift and robust motion range.
Thus, you should find a full tang blade machete as it caters to the correct balance for those powerful swings.
The machete’s weight is the next crucial factor in picking up the ideal survival machete.
To a great extent, a heavier machete will be durable, allow users to chop through the woods, cut through the bushes, and even efficiently perform heavy-duty work.
However, a heavy machete may be tough to carry, particularly if you are spending a lot on the road. Thus, ensure to factor in the machete’s weight while purchasing one.
You may even purchase a heavy survival machete to keep in the survival kit & a lighter machete to use during regular days.
Another crucial part to concentrate on before purchasing the survival machete is its handle. Most of the survival machetes often come with a textured grip to provide enhanced protection.
If the survival machete does not have any non-slip grip, it makes performing the hefty activities or self-defense dangerous for the person wielding the same.
When it is about the handle, a crucial feature to note is the lanyard hole. Lanyard hole increases the handle’s grip, making it safer for those using it.
When you are purchasing a survival machete for the road, it is crucial to ensure that it has a sheath attached to it. While you can easily buy a distinct sheath, there are times when it can get tough to figure out the correct fit.
Moreover, the type of sheath material used plays a crucial role in ensuring protection when the machete is not used. As for the material, leather usage will not disappoint you as it is durable and lasts longer than most of the market choices.
Note that the nylon sheath is susceptible to breaking down rapidly compared to other materials. Ensure to carefully assess the sheath that you get with the survival machete.
The sheath requires a belt loop or a latching mechanism, making it simple for you to carry the tool easily. You can also even make your preferred sheath if you need it.
Best Survival Machete: Reviews & Buying Guide for 2021
Winner: Kershaw Camp 18 (1074) Camp Series Machete
Created from non-stainless steel, high carbon, this product is a powerful machete designed for long-lasting use when it comes to survival situations.
- Blade material is hard – 65Mn carbon steel
- Handle material is glass-filled nylon
- The length of the blade is 18 inches, i.e., 45.72 cm
- The thorough length of the machete is 24 inches or 60.96 cm
- Weight of the product 2.5 pounds
- Fixed blades, high carbon steel, full tang beast smeared with 65MN high performance, ultimate toughness and even wear resistance.
- Their handle is a contoured solid polymer wrapped in textured rubber over mold with the handguard for a highly secure grip in dry or wet conditions.
- It comes with a molded sheath and lashing points & nylon straps to protect the blade, simple attachment, and safe storage.
- A good companion for utilization at camp, deep in forest or woods, in the backcountry, on-farm, in the yard, on the trail, and in a zombie apocalypse.
- Best for all the hacking, cutting, stripping, splitting & scraping requirements.
- It is the largest blade, making it an ideal outdoor & survival tool and in most extreme surroundings.
- It even makes a good gift for campers, hunters, farmers, survivalists, gardeners, farmers, wilderness guides, maintenance professionals, and anyone required of a large and powerful/robust cutting edge.
- It is convenient and can be kept in a backpack, toolbox, garage, survival kit, canoe, barn, or can be attached to a four-wheeler for a sturdy, reliable tool, having the potential of facing some of the demanding jobs.
- The holes drilled on the rear and front of the handle for the lanyard attachment point enhances carrying versatility.
- It has 18 inches of sure-shot pure hacking power for hard use applications like making kindling, clearing brush, removing tough vines, stripping bark, small tree removal, trail maintenance, and others.
- It is not the best for chopping smaller branches
The black powder coat finishes not just endows it with a slick appearance but even adds to the blade’s durability, which is crucial if you invest in this survival machete.
The full tang handle is conveniently wrapped in a rubber mold, enabling a secure grip irrespective of its conditions.
Also, it is fitted with a handguard at the back and front, which minimizes the chances of slip-off during rough usage. You can even be assured that the machete’s sheath is protective, and it involves nylon straps for extra convenience.
It measures nearly 18 inches and has a long blade, which is also very thick in design. Despite this, the knife is mainly built for camping and is an excellent tool in various survival situations.
If you are one of those looking for a great blend of the lightweight blade, which is simple enough to swing & even cut through the most challenging terrain, Kershaw camp machete is a budget-friendly choice.
However, few customers have said that their uses might be limited to just heavy-duty cutting, and it is very big to be a good slicer for the smaller branches.
Runner Up: CRKT Halfachance Fixed Blade Parang Machete
With a generously sized blade, comfortable handle, and the reinforced nylon sheath, the CRKT Halfachance Fixed Blade Parang Machete acts as a survival parang to utilize in cases when you are the only rescuer for yourself.
This machete is a highly beefy fixed blade parang designed by an award-winning knifemaker called Ken Onion of Kaneohe.
The machete is a carbon steel thick blade with a black powder coat that is considerably durable in extreme environments. It is built for hard usage and simply has an edge in the field.
- Reinforced nylon sheath
- Black & corrosion-resistant finish of the blade
- It has a reinforced nylon sheath
- The length of the blade is 14 inches or 355.60 mm
- The blade edge is plain in nature
- Blade steel is 65Mn, which is carbon steel
- The blade finish is powder coat
- The thickness of the blade is 0.10 inches or 2.54 mm
- Overall, machete length is 19.50 inches or 494.30 mm
- Sheath material is weaved polyester
- It has a black powder-coated blade, which is carbon steel
- Durable & strong machete
- Multiple lanyard holes
- Handle designed ergonomically for minimal hand fatigue & maximum cutting power
- Best for the utilization as hunting, survival, or camping machete
- Best for corrosion and rust resistance properties
- Highly durable
- Nylon sheath for swift transportation and easy storage
- The blade is dull and even needs sharpening after buy
This CRKT Halfachance Fixed Blade Parang Machete comes with a double injection molded handle. It has been designed ergonomically to reduce hand fatigue. It also has multiple lanyard holes for offering different grip options.
When you want to cut through the bushes and make a path for yourself, this CRKT Halfachance Fixed Blade Parang Machete should be your ideal choice.
Alternative 1: Outdoor Edge Brush Demon
Outdoor edge brush demon is a tactical machete designed in the spirit of ancient Greek Kopis swords. The tactical machete is a rugged, beast chopper for clearing thick bushes and blazing trails.
It is a blade, which is 13.5 inches made from a tough 65Mn carbon spring steel with hands finished, and convex cutting edge, which is protected with black powder coat finish.
It is a rubberized TPR handle designed to ensure a thoroughly secure and comfortable, non-slip grip for slicing and chopping in all conditions.
The outdoor edge brush demon comes with a quality nylon sheath with multiple grommets for looking to pack or for the MOLLE system.
It has a quick-release belt loop that can be modified for both high ride and low carry options. The outdoor edge brush demon is solely designed by Jerry Hossom, a big blade expert and custom knifemaker.
- Complete tang blade of 13.5 inches with an overall length of 20 inches
- Carbon spring steel of 65 Mn with black powder coat
- It comes with a nylon sheath
- Provides service for a lifetime: The outdoor edge produces quality cutting tools solely built to last long.
- Come with great cutting edge
- Is very strong and sharp
- Has a nice sheath
- Excellent for self-defense and big jobs
- It has a bowie styled clip point specialized knife/machete with a large blade
- Crossguard bar across the handle
- It is best as a fighting knife, owing to its sharp piercing point & long length for slicing.
- The tactical machete is great as an outdoor knife owing to its blade-style & multipurpose
- Might be a little heavy, which may create difficulty in management
- Not met for small type of jobs that require a great lot of precisions
The outdoor edge brush demon has a brown TPR handle and an integrated finger guard with an outdoor edge series type inlay shield.
The item consists of a black nylon belt sheath with various grommets to tie while packing or strapping to the leg. It has a 65 MN carbon steel and drop point blade with a black finish.
The outdoor edge brush demon tactical machete is a high-performance blade knife fixed for managing some of the toughest outdoor cutting activities.
Having a rubberized TPR handle, this rugged chopper provides the perfect balance while clearing the thickest of bushes, making it the ideal choice while setting up outdoor camp.
Alternative 2: Schrade SCHKM1 19.7in Kukri Machete
If you want to buy the best survival kukri machete, then considering this Schrade SCHKM1 19.7in Kukri Machete would be the best thing to ensure your hiking, camping, executing bushcraft, and other outdoor activities exciting.
This kukri machete is a strong performing blade, and it would make your outdoor job a lot easier and quicker as you would need to cut the bushes or slice through the shrubs.
- Dimensions: Dimension is about 19.7 inches, which is 50 cm overall length and a blade length of about 13.3 inches or 33.8 cm, and the weight is about 1 lb. and 6.6 ounces.
- The Blade’s durability: The Kukri machete is created with a reliable 3Cr13 power smeared S.S with a black safety grip handle.
- Dependability: Easy and quick access with a convenient polyester sheath with a removable shoulder pouch, leg strap, shoulder strap, and belt loop, making it an ideal cutting instrument.
- Security: On holding it, the user will get the confidence of using it precisely for the purpose, as the blade is designed in such a manner that it will not slip towards the front quillon.
- The machete is affordable
- The blade is thoroughly protected as it is made of stainless steel and powder coating
- The quillon prevents the slipping of hands from handle to blade
- Belt strap, shoulder strap, and leg strap cater three distinct carrying options
- Owing to its compact nature, it is simple to carry
- It has a detachable pouch that contains a Ferro rod & diamond sharpener
- Powder coating is not a food prep amiable machete
- Machete is a bit on the shorter side; which probably would be good in surroundings that are not overgrown completely
- The thickness of the blade is unknown
This kukri machete has a speed hole for quick slicing, and it comes with a Ferro rod with a striker plate. The front quillon security will not let the blade slip off your hand during use.
You can easily carry this kukri as it comes with a polyester sheath with a shoulder, leg, and belt loop.
If you want to use a sturdy machete for cutting all the bushes around your property or you want to go for outdoor camping, then buying this Schrade SCHKM1 19.7in Kukri Machete would be a great choice.
Alternative 3: Jungle Master JM-031B Machete
The feature of the blade is distinct that serves just to enhance swings.
Jungle master machete comes with a blade that swells near the tip that endows the machete with a more rounded edge with required weight and belly, enabling this small-sized machete to shift quickly and hit hard.
The blade’s spine runs just straight that gives the machete a rounded point at the tip in case of occasional thrust, while angular and jagged serrations add in a new level of function to the machete’s back.
Machete is wholly made from 1 piece of blackened stainless steel & the grip is wrapped in the black cord for a secure hold. Machete completely comes with a matching black nylon sheath for convenient and easy storage.
- It is a 21-inch short instrument simpler to maneuver
- It is great for lightning-fast reaction
- Black cord-wrapped handle with excellent grip
- Black stainless steel blade
- Heavy-duty reverse serration
- Has durable nylon sheath best for travel and storage
- It features a distinctive blade-shaped serving the best, which enhances every swing.
- Jungle Master Machete’s blade swells near the tip that gives it a rounded edge with plenty of weight and belly, enabling the smaller-sized instrument to move quickly and even hit hard.
- The Handle of the product is loosely fitted.
The distinctive blade shape with reverse serration makes this Jungle Master JM-031B Machete an ideal outdoor work choice. You can move this machete quickly to hit hard and cut through bushes.
The cord-wrapped handle provides you with a tight grip and ensures that it does not slip off while being used.
This full tang Jungle Master JM-031B Machete is a powerful tool, yet it is easy to use. You can buy this for doing heavy-duty cutting work in your house, or you can use it for outdoor adventures.
You will see good results and cherish this super powerful blade in all cases.
Survival Machete FAQ
Are Machetes Good for Survival?
It is forged with black powder smeared high carbon steel that makes it simple to maintain.
Machete’s blade is near ideal for chopping off through bushes, skinning bark, cutting vines, extracting tiny trees, etc. Such fixed blades can be utilized for various purposes, which makes them best and prudent for survival.
Are Machetes Dangerous?
Machete is a dangerous and sharp weapon. You must never keep this open unless you are using it. Thus, ensure to always keep your machete in a sheath at times when not in use.
Moreover, ensure to carry your machete in the sheath when you are transporting the weapon.
What Can A Machete Cut Through?
The machete blade is generally 20 to 24 inches, which is 50 to 60 cm long and is about two inches thick.
Machete is a massive knife mostly used in the woods or jungles as it can simply cut through the vines and plants. It can even be used for opening coconuts or cutting down a few trees.
Is It Illegal to Own A Machete?
Technically, it is not illegal. However, note that any machete or sword interpreted as a weapon under Arms Act is crucially dangerous, particularly those such as a dagger or kukri.
However, ownership of such a sword or machete or their display isn’t illegal if kept solely at home.
Purchasing the prudent survival machete isn’t a fool’s game. You should consider all such probable contributing factors before deciding on opting for the kind of machete you would need.
Whether you are purchasing a chopping wood machete or survival machete, you should look at every aspect of the machete before purchase.
You may go through the best survival machete review and learn about everything, starting from blade to accompanying sheath to get a friendly user experience.